FusionHDTV5? USB Gold is a NTSC/ATSC/Clear QAM HDTV capaible TV Tuner that runs over a USB 2.0 port.
It also features an SVideo? input and a IR remote control.
Linux kernel from 2.6.16 forward partially support (no Analog/NTSC yet) the tuner device out of the box.
Here's the product page:
I hope to enable MythTV backend + MythTV web on a Slug with one of these units attached to it. I'm hoping a turboed Slug will be fast enough to capture the ATSC stream to an attached disk.
The pipedream plan to make this happen...
- Get FusionHDTV5? USB working on a desktop first. (Ubuntu Dapper w/ Myth 0.19 + 2.6.16)
- Some possible avenues for working on the slug:
- Find out if DebianSlug can support running with the 2.6.16 kernel with all the bells and whistles that need to be enabled to support the Fusion.
- port some of the mythTV packages likely using apt-build and the Ubuntu unofficials as a base.
- Otherwise investigate using Gentoo ebuilds to try my hand at an arm build.
- Got a FusionHDTV5? USB, the unit works with Windows but does not "light up" when plugged into Slug. (Haven't looked to see if dmesg sees it)
- Did a ResetSysConf and flashed Unslung 6.8 onto my Slug (it hasn't been running in about a year) using the UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode method with Sercomm firmware updater for Win32 and a cross-over cable.
- Found a drive enclosure that the Slug recognises (Ximeta NetDisk? 80GB HDD in USB2? mode) - Port 1 == /dev/sda1 on DebianSlug
- Flashed the di-nslu2.bin installer on to my Slug
- Ran out of memory trying to get partitioning to give me a 10GB / with swap + home. When reconnecting the installer stalls on "starting the paritioning tool" -> must reboot the Slug and start install again.
- completed install, then upgrade mode and flash debian-sda1.bin ... added debian unstable and aptitude install apt-build
- liblame-dev comes from Christian Marillat's unofficial debian packages archive(approve sites), fortunately it seems to compile into arm packages nicely (cross fingers that they won't seg fault or something)...
- echo deb-src ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ etch main>>/etc/apt/sources.list; gpg --keyserver hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys 1F41B907; gpg --armor --export 1F41B907 | apt-key add -; aptitude update; apt-build build-source lame; aptitude update; aptitude install liblame-dev
- MythTV? has been built and deployed on a DebianSlug NSLU2 (from the Ubuntu src repository for mythtv)!!!
- a demo of MythWeb? running on DebianSlug along with binary packages are temporarily running at
http://22.214.171.124:443/(approve sites) (dhcp ip has changed)
- Replace Kernel with 2.6.16 and rebuild the intel ixp400 ethernet NIC driver
- The hold-up: the 2.6.16 kernel has grown to the point where it no longer fits in the 1MB of space allocated by RedBoot for the kernel.
- Potential Solution: discussion is underway on the debian-arm list (http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2006/07/threads.html#00036) to replace RedBoot with APEX that has a small usb-drive enabled kernel which can then kexec a kernel stored on /dev/sda1.
- Get Kernel headers and build DVB modules with DVICO FusionHDTV5? USB support (module -> dvb-usb-cxusb)