Recover Data from internal Harddisk
This is what you need for the procedure:
- Spare Harddisk
- External USB HDD Casing
If you are playing around with the config Files in
/etc (like I have), you might get a situation where your DS101 does not boot again. (like I have)
After the first beep, the unit shows some HDD activity and then shows the following situation:
- Power LED blue
- Status LED orange
- HDD LED dark
- LAN LED green
The DS101 is now in pre-installation mode, you can install the box with DSAssistant? from the manufacturer's CD. Do not start the assistant now!! It will format the internal Harddisk!!
Steps to recover the Data
- Shut down the DS101, disconnect the Harddisk and connect the spare Harddisk.
- Run DSAssistant to reinstall the box with any settings you like.
- Enable Telnet and log in to your newly-setup DS101.
- Connect your original Harddisk with an external USB Casing to the DS101, it will show up as \\servername\usbshare1 (the share will show up as empty - don't worry) and as /volumeUSB1/ .
- You can now either copy the original Files (like synoinfo.conf in my case) back into the original
/etc directory (
cp /etc/synoinfo.conf /volumeUSB1/etc/synoinfo.conf)
or mount the original data partition to restore just the files:
mount /dev/sda3 /mydata